Wednesday, November 23, 2011

He wouldn't leave.

What do you do if you have a student that flat out refuses to leave your classroom? 

If you say call security, I did.

If you say contact an administrator, I did.

If you say let his next period teacher know, I did.

If you say tell him to get his little punk butt out of your class, I SO did.

But he had different ideas. Here is how it went down:

Me: J, you know that 3rd period is over, and 4th period is now going, thus meaning you are in the wrong classroom?  I think you need to shut down that laptop, put it back in the laptop cart, and go to your 4th period class.

J: Naw, I'm gonna stay here and finish this assignment.

Now... Maybe he was confused. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my expectations. So I tried again.

Me: No, J. You have to go now. There is no other option.

J: No.

Random 4th period student: Dude, she told you to leave. So you should leave.

J: You know what, dude, mind your own business.

Random 4th period student:  This IS my business. You're in my damn seat.

J: Oh... Sorry, man. (He scooted over one seat.)

At this point, I did the following things in this order:

1. Settled down my 4th period class and had them begin reading silently.
2. Tried to call security, but received no answer.
3. Thought about calling the office, but with the way J was getting more and more angry, I didn't because I didn't want him to know I was calling administration. I mean, my classroom is quite a ways away from the office, and I wasn't going to deal with this kid being mad at ME until they showed up.
4. I emailed his teacher and administrator letting them know that he flat out refused to leave my classroom.
5. Emailed my friend (also a teacher) about his refusal.
6. Read her reply, which was: hahahahahaha.
7. Tried not to bust up laughing after reading her reply.
8. Emailed security to let them know I had a student who wouldn't leave... which seemed like an odd thing to complain about, even as I was writing the email.

Now, by this point, J was super upset.  He was sitting there saying things like "Whoever fucking erased my essay from this laptop is a punk, you know? Like, dude, who would do that?"  I tried over and over to tell him this language was not appropriate, but he was clearly in his own little world.  Another random student spoke up and was all like, "Hey, she's asked you to stop numerous times and to LEAVE. Why won't you leave????"

J: I don't have to, man. I can be here all day if I want.

Me: No, J, you can't... You know, you're really disrupting my class.  I don't even care if you leave. Just go sit in the hallway with the laptop and finish your essay.

J: Nope.

Me: Ok... Then just be quiet.

J: Fuck this. I hate this. Dude, like, my essay is gone, and like, I can't write it. And this is so gay.

Me: Woah. That's enough! You need to stop now. Give me the laptop.

J: Naw. I'll be quiet.

At this point, I was honestly at a loss as to what I should do next.  I was almost to the point of moving my entire class into the hall and barricading this student in my room like a rabid animal.

But then, just as randomly as he refused to leave, he quietly stood up and walked out.  Just like that.  I was so shocked, I watched him walk down the hall just to make sure he would actually leave.

When I returned to my classroom, I started laughing.  Some of the students were all like, "Why didn't you make him leave?"  To which I responded, "Short of dragging him out of here, there was no more I could do."  They all agreed... and a few of them even offered to drag him out if he decided to hold a sit-in in my class in the future.  I told them that would be a bad idea (but we all know the thought had crossed my mind).

Now, every day, I cross my fingers and hold my breath when the 3rd period bell rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment